10 Feb The Power of Presence
Leaders need to have true presence in every conversation. I think they need to ‘bring presence.’ It’s good to bring physical presents, but what I’m talking about is bringing personal presence, as in your attention and your being state. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is thinking that another time or another meeting is more important than the one they’re in.
One of the most crucial elements that all leaders need to get is that in every conversation they have, the more present they can be, the more powerful and influential they can become.
Have you ever been sitting physically in a meeting and but weren’t there emotionally or mentally? That’s called ‘Presenteeism’ — you’re present but you’re absent.
One of the keys to improving your influence is being more present.
Below are 3 tips on how you can improve your presence:
1. Get in your body. One of the great tips that I learned from a book called The Charisma Myth by Olivia Cobane is that you can wiggle your toes a little bit and notice the feeling, take three deep breaths and focus on the feeling of the breath going through your nostrils. It will get you back in your body.
2. Open your mouth slightly. I learned this from my friend Nils Vesk, who is an innovation expert. Open your mouth just slightly when you’re having a conversation with someone, and it will make you more curious. You’ll be more present.
3. Mind Hacks. Say to yourself: “The most valuable use of my time is right now and right here.” Say it over and over, and it will get you in the place.
If this has been valuable, please like or tweet it and share a comment below. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Look forward to speaking to you soon. Look after yourself.
Discover to Deliver a Highly Persuasive Presentation and Move People into Action
Join Colin for a free masterclass on persuasive presentation (without coming across pushy or sales-y).
On this workshop you’re going to discover:
- Proven strategies that the top 1% of influencers use to become leaders in their marketplace.
- You’ll learn how they craft and deliver presentations to achieve massive impact.