AS SEEN IN...
The Virtual Studio Guide
Your Virtual Studio
This guide outlines the exact virtual studio I’ve set up.
There are many variations you can create, but I love mine and it works beautifully. I’ve personally found the investment in a virtual studio to be well worth it, especially with the world going virtual. If you want to truly stand out in the marketplace as a pro, then this will help a lot.
The image above shows how I’ve used and connected my virtual studio together and how it all fits together based on the numbers.
All the products I’ve recommended below are ones I use or have used. This is not an exhaustive shopping list, it’s a list for people who want gear that works and doesn’t want to waste hours trying to find what works. The links below are my Amazon affiliate links, so if you do use them to purchase I will receive a small commission. But please know that I’m recommending them cause I use and love them!
DISCLOSURE: Colin Boyd is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.colinboyd.co .Below is a set-up image (with numbers) based on my equipment so you can more easily plug it all together!
CAMERA SET UP
1. Sony Alpha A6100 Mirrorless Camera with 16-50mm Zoom Lens, Black (ILCE6100L/B)
(this specific camera and the Sony A6400 are great as they don’t overheat and stream for a long time without turning off)
2. Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens for Sony with 64GB Extreme PRO SD Card and Accessory Bundle
(this is the lens that makes your backdrop blurred and you look crystal clear, it’s my favorite part of the whole set up)
3. AJA U-TAP HDMI Simple USB 3.0 Powered HDMI Capture
(this thing connects makes the video flow into your computer. It connects between your camera and your computer)
4. Gonine AC-PW20 Power Supply AC Adapter NP-FW50 Dummy Battery DC Coupler Set, for Sony Alpha A6500, A6400, A6300, A7, A7II, A7RII, A7SII, A7S, A7S2, A7R, A7R2, A55, A5100, RX10 Cameras.
(this battery provides constant power to the camera so you never have to charge it, it’s a game-changer)
6. Cable Matters High-Speed HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable (Micro HDMI to HDMI) 4K Resolution Ready – 15 Feet
(this connects into your camera and the Capture card (3)
7.WALI Extra Tall Single LCD Monitor Fully Adjustable Desk Mount Fits 1 Screen up to 27 inch, 22lbs. Weight Capacity (M001XL), Black
(this is the main mount that connects to your desk and holds all the arm extension)
9.WALI Universal Single Fully Adjustable 3 Tier Arm for WALI Monitor Mounting System (001ARMXL), Black
this is the arm extension that my light (13) connects to)
10.Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set, High Speed Steel | 3-Piece Set Total 28 Sizes
(Note: this is the drill bit you’ll need to make the holes slightly larger to fit the item (11) in the holes to secure your light (13) and camera Tripod (8). You’ll need an electric drill here, but trust me it takes like 5mins and is easy)
11.NICERYIG 3/8 Inch and 1/4 Inch Camera Quick Release Screw Tripod Screw Adapter Connector DSLR Camera Rig Accessories
(these are the screws that go through the holes in (9) to secure your light (13) and camera tripod (8)
STREAMING AUDIO SETUP
EXTRA (COOL STUFF THAT MAKES IT ALL EASIER)
14. Elgato Stream Deck XL – Advanced Stream Control with 32 Customizable LCD Keys, for Windows 10 and macOS 10.13 or Later.
(this tool is for easy switching between modes, functions, and workflows. It’s like a programable switchboard)
16. Ergotron WorkFit-P Sit-Stand Workstation PLATINUM (24-408-227)
(I like this as it allow me to lift my laptop up underneath my camera lens so that I can look at the laptop screen, and it make me look like I’m looking down the camera at the person)
17. VIVO White Electric Height Adjustable Stand Up Desk Frame, Workstation with 63 x 32 inch Table Top and Controller, Frame and Desktop Combo, DESK-KIT-2E1W
(I love having a stand-up desk with my virtual studio as it means I can go from sitting (for meetings) to standing (for teaching) in one click. Well worth the investment)