24 Mar Improve Team Culture
Today I want to share with you an idea that every leader must get for them to be effective in their team leadership.
Just recently, I became a father. I’ve got a young son named Jonah. He’s a bit of a rock star… if I may say so myself. Just recently, he had quite a high temperature and I remember getting worried, as a first-time parent does. I didn’t know what to do. I tested his temperature and we thought it was quite high.
A lot of the time, one of the biggest problems in a team is that people do just that — they come in and they test the temperature only. They say “This is not good” or “Things aren’t going well” or “Jenny isn’t performing well.” All they do is test the temperature. But if I think about this with Jonah, if I didn’t actually reduce his temperature like putting a damp cloth on his forehead, then essentially I would not have been addressing the challenge or the root of the problem.
A lot of the time, people do this in their teams. Even leaders do it. They test the temperature but they don’t actually change the temperature.
Leaders need to be a thermostat, not a thermometer.
Three ways that leaders can set the temperature:
1. Get clear on your team standards. Have a conversation with your team over 90 minutes. Sit down and say, “What do we expect of each other in this team?”
2. Be the example. Exhibit the behaviours that you want to see. You can’t expect people to do what you want them to do without you being that standard.
3. Admit mistakes. I know this isn’t popular but you need to say sorry, you need to own up when you mess up. A lot of the time, people respect you more when you apologise and say, “I messed up here” or “I made a mistake here.” You set the temperature for a level of vulnerability in the team.
You need to be a thermostat, not a thermometer. You need to not just test the temperature, but set the temperature.
If this has been valuable, please like or tweet it and share a comment below. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Look forward to speaking to you soon. Look after yourself.
Discover to Deliver a Highly Persuasive Presentation and Move People into Action
Join Colin for a free masterclass on persuasive presentation (without coming across pushy or sales-y).
On this workshop you’re going to discover:
- Proven strategies that the top 1% of influencers use to become leaders in their marketplace.
- You’ll learn how they craft and deliver presentations to achieve massive impact.