THE SELL WITH STORY GUIDE™
How to find & tell your signature story in a way that connects and converts
Command Attention Onstage
I want to share with you an idea that from a lot of research is suggested as the difference between whether you’re believable or not, whether you come across with a sense of certainty or uncertainty. I shared this idea with a woman I was doing coaching with, and I noticed that she was doing it with her voice. I shared this idea and it built her credibility and believability significantly in terms of her career. This can be a challenge, especially for women.
One of the biggest distinctions that make you credible and command attention from stage, is your tone. In fact, your tone is 38% of the meaning that people take from what you’re saying. Your communication has to do with your tone, not so much the words you say.
There are 3 types of tone that you need to be aware of:
1. Inflected tone – It goes up at the end of a sentence. In the listener’s head, what they’re hearing is uncertainty. And that’s not what you want to communicate.
2. Flat tone – It’s a monotone. It bores a person to death.
3. Command tone – It drops off at the end. It’s not angry, but it has a sense of certainty about itself.
Just notice tone from now on. In conversations you’re having at the office or with people around, notice inflected tone and command tone. Command tone commands attention from stage.
That’s today’s tip.
I’ve got a question for you: When you listen to someone who has inflected tone or flat tone, how does it make you feel as an audience member? Please share this in the comments below; I’d love to hear from you.
Speak to you soon.
Discover to Deliver a Highly Persuasive Presentation and Move People into Action
Join Colin for a free masterclass on persuasive presentation (without coming across pushy or sales-y).
On this workshop you’re going to discover:
- Proven strategies that the top 1% of influencers use to become leaders in their marketplace.
- You’ll learn how they craft and deliver presentations to achieve massive impact.
THE PERSUASIVE SPEECH GUIDE
How to rock your next presentation from the first word